This page is moving to a new website.
Someone asked me about what sort of contract to use with a new client. This person did not need a very detailed contract, but said that a handshake would not suffice. Here’s what I suggested.
I have never used a contract, unless the client draws one up. If you want a contract, talk to a lawyer, and make sure it addresses the following issues.
- your consulting rate and payment schedule
- the scope of work
- who maintains copyright and/or patient rights over any material produced
- how liability is handled if a third party sues both you and your client
- how disputes over contract details should be handled
- conditions under which either party can sever the contract
- what terms of the contract remain in force after severance